LET US DESCRIBE THE WORK DONE IN PHASE 1 TO ENABLE PILOT TESTING IN THE F-CUBED PROJECT
- Representative samples of feedstock were delivered to TNO (Netherlands), where all the analysis in this stage was carried out. All selected feedstocks were characterized with standard fuel analysis and quantification of the organic content, which was necessary to evaluate processing and anaerobic digestibility. Involved partners: TNO, SWE, SKP, APPO, CFE, DELAFRUIT
- The selected feedstocks were tested under a range of hydrothermal reaction conditions to optimise the TORWASH reactor for the pilot testing. The parameters studied were dewaterability, solids settling, solid mass yield, and inorganics distribution between the solid and liquid phases after filtration. We paid special attention to Chlorine (Cl), Sodium (Na), Calcium (Ca) and Potassium (K), which are relevant for fuel quality and Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P) and Potassium (K), which are relevant for fertilizer applications. Involved partners: TNO
- The partners explored added-value products delivered by TORWASH, relevant to the specific industry.
- Recycling P and N from paper sludge
- Recovering low-grade oil from wet olive pomace
- Recovering terpenes from orange peels.
- The optimal process conditions for the pilot TORWASH reactor and pilot filter press, as well as the type of auxiliary equipment needed was also determined. The filterability and dewaterability of the TORWASH effluent was tested at lab scale and at LIMF, varying parameters such as filter porosity and pressure.